Hope everyone had a Happy Holi ! Chancing upon the #Uncolour campaign on Twitter really got me thinking about what perceptions and prejudices I would love to change this Holi.
Here is my short list:
- Women are not as capable as men in fields like science or maths, and men are not good at art or dance.
- Women have to do it all to have a career: manage a home, take care of the kids and then give a job a chance. A career should always be given second priority.
- Only ‘fair’ is beautiful.
- Women are not strong and that men cannot be weak.
- Girls like pink, and boys like blue.
- Women should eat in the family only after the men, kids and elders have eaten.
- Housework is only a women’s work.
- Girls and women who go out after dark are asking for trouble.
- Girls who have boyfriends are ‘uncultured’(to use an euphemism).
- Women who work full-time and go after their dreams are selfish.
- Women who employ maids, cooks or nannies are lazy.
- If a man gives his wife priority or listens to her ideas, he becomes her slave.
- The ultimate purpose of any woman’s life is to get married and have kids.
I could go on, but you probably get the drift. Would you like to add to my list? What do you want to ‘Uncolour’ this Holi?
by Namratha Varadharajan
Namratha is a digital marketer in the making. Other than her love for the written word and her kids, she enjoys Italian food, dancing and gardening. Explore more of her writings at www.namysaysso.com