“I had to leave my full-time job in 2013, due to pregnancy, and I admit that initially I wasn’t too happy about it. But, I felt the need to keep doing something- for me and my self-worth. I started with something I love- writing. And till today, I have not been able to give it up and go back to a full-time job. I write for happiness, I write to earn, I write to keep my inner passion alive, and I write because it boosts my confidence. I am working from home and it is really satisfying.”
Well, this is my story and I am sure, many moms can relate to this too. A lot of women tend to leave work due to pregnancy and for raising their children. Some quit, some start their own ventures, and many opt for working from home opportunities. Due to better connectivity, growing social media networks, free online softwares and easy tutorials, work from home options is a growing market.
So, if you are looking for popular work from home options with a growing trend in 2017, then you might want to ponder upon the following:
- Freelance Content Writer: Content Writing is a popular work from home job which can be done at your own time and convenience. If you like to write, you can use your skills to write unique, fresh and valuable content according to client requirements. It might take a while, but once you establish yourself through your writing, opportunities will start to come your way. You have to be articulate, good with understanding the requirements and committed to deadlines.
Look for opportunities: You can look at portals like Skillpages(now acquired by bark.com), Freelancer, Reboot, LocalQueen, Sheroes, Koffeeplace and others, for WFH opportunities. You can contact your freelancer friends as referrals play a big role in this profile. There are many FB groups like Work From Home Options for Women, Content writing groups, etc, who post such job opportunities on a daily basis. You can approach them and start writing even if it is not your niche. Because every experience counts.
- Reviewer/Blogger: Blogging is a growing industry. You can blog about any subject, as long as your writing adds value to the reader. The idea is to be consistent and write quick, easy posts that people find useful or entertaining. You can also turn a reviewer using your blog. You need to create a good reach. Once that is done, you will find that organizations will reach out to you for parternerships. For instance, if you are a new mom, then you can write your thoughts about infant products. Make sure you give authentic reviews for the other moms out there. You can also review products or do guest blogging for other blogs or platforms – many of these are paid projects.
Look for opportunities: If you are good at reviews, then you can use your blog for paid reviews. You can opt for writing guest blogs for other portals. This is quite common in parenting websites, who offer opportunitiesboth for reviews and guest blogs. You can also get relevant information in popular mommy and parenting groups. Many platforms offer paid book reviews. You can look for BabyChakra, My Little Moppet, MummyCenter, FirstCry, mycity4kids, and others (a Google search would yield good results)
- Data Entry: Online data entry from home is also a growing job opportunity. Many companies outsource these tedious and time consuming tasks to agencies, who in turn can recruit you for the job. These are mostly paid opportunities with strict guidelines and deadlines. If you have time to spare and willing to earn some extra cash, this might be a feasible option without much of effort required.
Look for opportunities: Many online job portals like Naukri, Monster etc. and Facebook groups will have data entry opportunities. Referrals would also work here.
- Social Media Manager: Today, everyone is on social media, and it is a big network for sales, promotions, communication and brand building. And, these are best done by a Social Media Manager, who knows the nuances of social media and its implication. This profile might require an initial training or understanding of the different aspects of social media. Then, use your imagination and creativity to explore through social media. If you can create your brand in this, you will be quite a hot cake in the industry as companies invest a lot in their social media strategies to penetrate and grow in the market.
Look for opportunities: Platforms like Reboot and Angel List post such opportunities frequently to help women get back to work, especially from their home. Increasingly, companies are letting people worl from home in the social-media space – as long as you are able to handle their digital strategies, even if it is from home. So, if you have the skills, join these portals and keep a look for such opportunities.
- Graphic Designer: This is probably one of the most popular job opportunities. Given that even individuals have their own websites, graphic designers are very much in demand. If you have a knack for creativity and innovation, you probably need to learn a few designing tools (Adobe Photoshop) and you are good to go. However, it is very important to create your brand in this competitive industry, and might require an initial investment from your end for training.
Look for opportunities: Again, online job portals and Facebook groups are updated regularly with these job opportunities. This profile is quite in demand and if you a creative person who is at online designing tools and applications, put it in your resume and upload at relevant places. If you are good at designing, you can sign up for portals like My Dream Store, WYO and others, where you can earn decent amounts by selling your own T-shirt, mobile cover and other designs.
- Travel Consultant: Online travel consultancy is also a good work from home opportunity. People look for customized travel packages, also all girls packages, etc. So, if you have been a travel freak or will be able to help others with your valuable suggestions, you can tie up with travel agencies and offer your services for a price. If you have a travel blog in addition to this, then it surely adds on to your credibility and brand.
Look for opportunities: You can probably start by connecting with travel bloggers, so that they can give you an initial platform. You can initiate with free travel consultation, and then you can contact travel portals or make your own network for earning through customized travel advices. You can also opt for paid travel reviews and guest blogs. For directory of travel or food bloggers, you can check Indiblogger or BlogAdda. You can also become a reviewer for HolidayIQ
- Online Business: If you are good at something, especially art and crafts, then why waste your talent? You can use it to start your own online business and earn money. It can be anything from baking cakes to making party favours. Now-a-days, most of the people look for personalized things and if you are good at it, use it wisely. You can also start online catering services or anything that you master and think it is unique to promote and sell.
Look for opportunities: You can start with opening your own Facebook page to sell your stuff. You can als approach online marketplaces like Amazon, Geechoo and others, who can give you a platform to showcase your talent and products. You can also sell through Facebook and Whatsapp groups, just that you need to join the right one.
So, if you have a talent that you want to nurture, and are looking to get back to work after a break, then explore these areas. The world today is full of opportunities- you just need to explore and understand what you would be best at. Hopefully, the set of information above will help you look at the right place for the right kind of work from home jobs.
If you would like to know more about work from home jobs and returning to work after a break, log on to reboot.net.in
By Debolina Coomar
As a believer of ‘live & let live’, Debolina likes to enjoy the tidbits of life as it comes by. As a person who enjoys reading, writing and interacting with people, she finds it exciting to write about emotions, experiences, stories, lifestyle, parenting, self-improvement, current affairs and pretty much everything that affects a common man’s life. An ex-HR and Corp. Comm. professional, and a freelance content and creative writer, content developer, author and blogger (debolinacoomar.wordpress.com) , she strives to ignite the power of thought with a whole new perspective, something on the lines of what Walt Disney said: “If you can dream it, you can do it“. She is also a contributing author of many short story and poem anthologies and e-books.